About Me

My photo
I'm a student that studies. Send money for food.

Friday 21 September 2012

Film poster analysis: Rubber

This poster accompanies the film Rubber (2010, Dupieux). Rubber is a comedy horror based on a tire called Robert. The tire discovers he has telepathic powers and uses them to a deadly effect. The film follows his obsession of one mysterious women and the trail of blood he leaves in his wake. I have chosen this film due to its quirky nature. As a modern take on the old B-movies this film premise seems more to me like a short film idea. I like the look of the poster, it is simple and somewhat minimalistic.
Colour scheme - The theme of red, off white and black. The red represents the blood and connotes death, this is a convention of the horror genre but that is fairly irrelevant to me as I have chosen a different genre altogether. However red is also strongly associated with the romance genre so could be something to bear in mind. I really like only using 3 colours on the whole poster, it keeps it simple and clear.



Title - The font used reminds me of old horror movie posters like Creature of the Black Lagoon (1954, Arnold) or The Thing from Another World (1951, Nyby). The text is the largest on the poster showing it's importance and making the name of the film clear as can be to the audience. I need to do this on my poster as it is a convention of all of the posters I have seen.

The tagline - The tagline "Are you Tired of the expected?" is brilliant. The double meaning of the word tired, referring to the main character being a tire and also the idea of being bored of the same old thing, forms a fantastic pun. Presented at the top of the poster in a smaller text than the title is conventional of most posters. I don't know what my tagline will be but I'd like it to reflect this one, I want it to be witty and clever.

Release date and Website - Just the same as in the first two posters I analysed the release date is on the poster, this tells me it is a popular convention and one I should include. The web address is also present, however I am not sure this (as I said in the Going The Distance poster post) is really too relevant in the present day.

Main character - This is a weird one for me, conventionally the protagonist/main character (Roger) is featured on the poster but of course he is a car tire. I like how the centre of the tire forms an eye, it shows that the tire is personified and also looks really sinister, which fits with the genre of the film. I'd like to feature a coffee cup on my poster in a similar way to this poster, however I think I would need to link it to the genre.



Billing Block - The billing block is another convention that is present on most of the film posters I have looked at. The font is always in this style and in a small size, I will be sure to replicate this on my poster.

Director - Unlike the other posters the directors name featured on this one. This is a feature I really like, it makes the film come across as more of a work of art than just a film. It is more likely to be on the poster if the director is already well established. For example a film directed by Danny Boyle, his name involved with the picture and on the poster will be another selling point utilised to draw in potential audience members.

No comments:

Post a Comment