About Me

My photo
I'm a student that studies. Send money for food.

Saturday 29 September 2012

Initial film poster designs

 Now I have analysed some existing film posters I am aware of the conventions. I have been thinking about what I want my poster to be. I definitely want it to comply to the general conventions of film posters, for example having the billing block at the bottom, title the largest and so on.  As for the image/s I have by no means made up my mind but I have some thoughts. These are some sketches depicting my first ideas for my own film poster. 

Poster 1
The background to this poster (which I have not drawn, you'll understand when you see my drawing ability featured in the animatic) will be the coffee shop location out of focus. The foreground (drawn) will be in focus. The picture on the cup, the thought bubble with a heart in it, links to the premise of the main character imagining a romance. 

+ Conventions of film posters are filled, the billing block, actor names, tagline and release date are featured
+ It sets the scene for the film showing the location

- I don't know how it will look with the out of focus background. Even if it was in focus it may look too busy
- Not conventional of the rom-com genre 



Poster 2

This posters image is more conventional, it features the main character behind his book looking upwards at the title. The background will be plain white, as it is in so many romantic comedy film posters. The image (although it won't be) could almost be one featured in the film, giving a true representation.

+I like how it represents the story
+ Follows conventions of both genre and film posters
+Shows the main character to the audience

- Isn't it just complying to a cliché  I think I need to either stay away from the cliché or completely mock it.
- I don't think the text placement is right. It may end up cluttering the poster.
- The thought bubble might be hard to distinguish from the white background without making it look cartoon-like

Poster 3 

This poster is a bit like that of the film Rubber I analysed in an earlier post. It's minimal style is something I really like. The text surrounding the logo in the middle was inspired by the Starbucks logo of the mermaid in a circle surrounded by the corporation name. Again I would use a white background for this poster to keep it simple and pleasing to look at.

+ I think the logo is clever and will look really good
+ Really simplistic, I feel this reflects the short film genre

- Could look boring and rather bare
-Not much room for text such as reviews. A it is now It unbalances the poster but I don't want anything else on the cup.



Where to go from here?
I need to ask my target audience which one they prefer. I could also take some photo's and mock up some rough posters to see how practical each idea is and if I would be able to make each one how I plan for it to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment