About Me

My photo
I'm a student that studies. Send money for food.

Thursday 6 December 2012

Film review comparison

To check how similar my review really is to on of Empire Magazine I took my review and the one I am imitating next to each other. From this I could see some subtle differences. I should be able to easily change these to ensure my review wouldn't look out of place in this publication.
The review I am basing my own on. 


The differences I noticed about the two. 
  • Title spacing. The three lines of the title are a bit wider apart on my review and this whole section needs to move downwards so the comment is just above the information box.

  • Line thickness. The yellow line of the left of the page is noticeably thicker on my review. A really minor difference but the fact I noticed it tells me that it is different enough to impact the look of the review. 

  • Bold text. In every review I have looked at the first line is in bold font. I don't know why this is but this appears to be a convention. This won't take long at all for me to change, like most of these changes, but it may affect the spacing within the text box.

  • Page number. I had overlooked this, perhaps because my review isn't part of a full length magazine  But if I want to make it more realistic this is something I should add. 

  • Comment. I had missed of the comment on the left hand side. This isn't essential but I want to stick as closely to the original as possible. I'm not sure what to write here though, maybe something about character representation

  • Text size. The text in my review is larger than that in the real reviews. It doesn't make that much of a difference on screen but when I printed the page off and placed it physically next to a real one the difference was clear. I will try with the text smaller to see if this improves it. However, if the text is smaller it may no longer span over the page so I might need to write a little bit more. 

  • Reviewer name. I forgot to but the name of the reviewer at the end! I can't really put my name on it as it's already in the review as the director. I will need to ask about the guidelines but I think I just need to make up a name, or perhaps create an alias. 

You could argue that these really small differences don't really matter. Well, they matter to me and I think they matter due to the overall look of the review. My aim is: I want to be able to print this out and place it in the pages of Empire and for it not to look out of place. Most of these changes should be fairly simple and quick to implement and I still have a few days before the deadline so I can change them quite comfortably. 

No comments:

Post a Comment