About Me

My photo
I'm a student that studies. Send money for food.

Saturday 1 December 2012

Writing the review

I have been working on writing my review as part of the ancillary task. It's really quite strange to write a review on something I have produced. Of course as I have been producing my short film for so long it is hard not to point out and discuss every little thing that I notice about it. It's also worth noting that, as a normal review isn't written by anyone affiliated with the film, that it wouldn't typically include any of the thought processes behind the film. But it will include the authors take on the film, and they may comment on possible thought processes or messages they conclude from it.

Another thing to consider is audience. Although the reader is likely to take a key interest in film their skills and knowledge of production may be limited. So there's no point in talking about theory's (for example, Todorovs narrative theory, or in-depth continuity techniques) as only the minority of the audience will know what the review is talking about.

Keeping in mind what I noticed about the language use in the existing reviews I analysed earlier in the project here is what I have written so far:
_________________________________________________________________________________

Set primarily in a quite coffee shop, daydreamer (Jacob Barrell) aims to spend some time with his favourite novel, but his plans are disrupted by the presence of a beautiful, mysterious woman (Olivia Lewis). The fantasist admires her from afar, deducing that she is his perfect woman. He escapes to his imagination exploring the perfect relationship this ideal woman could present him with. Classic romantic situations are cleverly morphed with often hilarious results. A sweet story of what could be if only he would muster up the courage to talk to her.

(More about narrative, perhaps one scene in particular)

Barrells cheeky demeanour creates a character that is hard not to love. He falls effortlessly into the role and has fabulous on-screen chemistry with his romantic interest, played by Lewis. Audiences will undoubtedly recognise one or two scenes as spoofs from famous romantic comedies, including Love Actually (Richard Curtis, 2003). However each part of his dream isn't quite perfect. This is part of Director Samantha Mortimer’s realistic style, commenting on the frivolity of the nature of relationships featured in almost every rom-com. Ever.  
 
In Mortimer’s directing début she has taken a bold move to comment so greatly on such an established and widely-loved genre. It is in no contention that she has a long way to go before matching the greats, she is no Speilberg by a long shot. .... (Downfalls of the film)
_________________________________________________________________________________
It isn't yet finished it will probably take several revisions before I am happy with it. I know I need to revise the structure so it complies with conventional reviews. I also feel I need to add in more figurative language and maybe comparisons. It's really hard to get the balance between being complimentary and critical right. This is made more difficult by the fact that I made the film. I don't mind, I could happily rip it to shreds (in a literary sense) but that isn't the aim. It will take some careful planning but hopefully, with time, I will get it right. 


No comments:

Post a Comment