About Me

My photo
I'm a student that studies. Send money for food.

Wednesday 14 November 2012

Editing session 4 - The ending

At this point I have edited up to around 4 1/2 minutes of my film. As you may have guessed I still have scenes I haven't included. I haven't managed to include the dog walking scene, the Wii scene or the feeding the ducks scene. This is a real shame as some of the footage is really funny. What I might do is edit the scenes together anyway to see how they look and then ask my target audience along with my peers of which to include. But, a deadline is looming so for now I think it's important for me to put in the ending which will definitely be included rather then experiment with scenes that might not.

The transition out of dream sequence to reality is the same as the transition into it but reversed. A fade to white transition follows the end shot from the dream into a shot of Jacobs character. He looks downwards as the camera follows his movement via panning.

He then proceeds to walk over to the table where Olivias character is sitting. A medium shot shows a new character, played by Harry, come into the coffee shop and immediately starts talking to her. This was important to me as it reflects the message of my film: seize the day/life is short. The fact that this new character comes in, out of nowhere whilst Jacobs character has been dreaming and wasting time implies if he'd have acted straight away he wouldn't have been beaten to her by this guy.

The next shot shows Jacobs reaction, he looks from one to the other as if he can't believe what has happened. This will be accompanied by Jacobs inner monologue much like the start of the film. A point of view shot sees Olivia turn to Jacob and ask "Is there a problem?".

His face falters (shown through a medium shot) then he looks once more at each of them (shown through a point of view shot). This shot then shows him leaving the coffee ship and quickly cuts to another level angle as he leaves and then to another when he is outside. This quick cutting helps create a feeling of fast pace and conveys to the audience that he is leaving quickly, possibly out of embarrassment or shame.

The film ends with another point of view shot of his feet as he walks away, kicking a coffee cup out of frustration as he does so.

And that's the end of my short film!

What's next?

  1. Extra footage. As I said I still have footage for scenes I didn't have time to include. So I will edit them to see how they look and if I want to substitute any existing scenes for them.
  2. Sound and music. I have edited my film with the sound muted as I knew I was adding a soundtrack over the top. It's now time to start making the music and adding the other audio (voice over and coffee shop ambience). I spoke to my friend Arabella who is composing my music and she has already started producing it!
  3. Titles and credits. I want to add titles and credits so I need to play around with them to see what looks right. 
  4. Duration. My film stands at 5 minutes and 20 seconds; the limit is 5 minutes. I need to trim some shots in order to make it the right length. 

No comments:

Post a Comment