About Me

My photo
I'm a student that studies. Send money for food.

Tuesday 13 November 2012

Editing session 4 - The train station

Editing continues after the hiatus. Unfortunately I only have access to the editing software at school which proves awkward. I would have loved to edit (honestly) over the weekend. But this is just one constraint I have to deal with. Today I moved on to the train station scene.

I have opened with a panning shot that shows the location off to the audience; this works as an establishing shot as it establishes to the audience where the characters are. I am really please with the smooth panning motion I managed to produce. Other camera movement I tried hasn't been so effective despite me preforming it in the same way with the same equipment (specifically the tripod).
Opening train station shot. 

The proceeding shot shows her initial reaction to seeing the male character on the other side. This scene, of course, as I have mentioned numerous times is a take on a scene from the film Love Actually (2003, Richard Curtis).
Having just seen him across the tracks. 

The shots continue in a back and fourth between him changing the sign to reveal more of the message to her reaction. I aimed to have a shot of the male ending with the same sign the next shot of him would start with. So for example the first shot of him his sign says 'Hello', then the film cuts to her reaction then the next shot is him still holding the 'Hello' sign before changing it. I wanted to do this to help with continuity, I thought it just makes it easier for the audience to follow the narrative of the scene.

Tricky sign turning. 
However, this wasn't always possible due to weather conditions and props. When filming we ran into some trouble, it was a fairly windy day and removing the signs smoothly was a challenge. This resulted in several takes; no one-take goes from start to finish through all the signs. We changed method for removal after the first two signs. Because of this I have no shot of the second sign ('I have a question') moving to reveal the third sign ('Would you').

This isn't a massive problem, it's more me being picky.


No comments:

Post a Comment