About Me

My photo
I'm a student that studies. Send money for food.

Thursday 22 November 2012

Film review - Let's start this thing

The other part of the ancillary tasks is to create a film review. It needs to follow conventions and not look out of place in a real film magazine. To create my review I am using the program In Design. I am basing my layout of those of the reviews featured in Empire Magazine. 

My proposed layout and that of Empire reviews.


In Design is a really good program in terms of formatting, it produces a professional looking finish.The program allows you to position text in columns with ease (among other things). I haven't used the program before but it didn't take too long for me to familiarise myself with it.  


The first thing I did was insert and place the images. Just like in the Empire review I have a larger main image heading the page with a small picture underneath to the side. The pictures I have chosen are stills from the film. The larger because it sets the scene nicely, showing the main location. Jacobs facial expressions in this image also show a cheeky side to his character and thus, to the short film as a whole as well. However, the quality of the picture isn't very good as it appears pixilated. So I will need to return to So Bar and take a new picture, hopefully I will be able to take a similar photo the the one above. The second photo is of good quality and again it shows the fun side to the film so I will use that one on the final version. 

The purple columns in the above photo act as guide lines within the program. They will allow me to position the text equally across the page giving a professional finish. The title was the first text I added. I have used a similar font, text size and position to Empire to keep to the conventions of the publication. 

I also decided to flip the picture horizontally so the book wasn't covered by the text box. But as it turns out it is now covered by the other image. But, as I am taking a new picture it doesn't matter for now. 

I added a white box overlapping the main photo to place in the information about the film. I have decided to use the same yellow and blue colour scheme as the review in Empire as it's bright and light hearted and generally just looks pleasing. The font size, colour and weight varies to distinguish between the importance of the subjects. Similarly, the information font differs from the title. The headings I have decided to use are as follows:
  • Released (release date)
  • Certificate
  • Director
  • Cast
  •  Plot
The only one I have not included is 'Running time' as I don't feel it as a relevant for a short film compared to a feature length film. 



That is about as far as I have got but it's a good start. It shouldn't take as long to progress as I now have a bit of experience with the program. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment