About Me

My photo
I'm a student that studies. Send money for food.

Tuesday 27 November 2012

Peer assessment feedback

After making some of the suggested changes to my film today I received some peer feedback. Two members of my Media Studies class watched my film them commented 3 key areas:

  • Cinematography 
  • Mis-en-scene
  • Editing
They would also have commented on sound but my current edit doesn't have any. I will re-record and add in the audio when the visuals are finalised. 

Here are the comments my film received and my responses:

Cinematography

Strengths
"So many good shots, particularly like the bit on the sofa which pans across the two of them"
"I really like the shots of the couple spinning around."

Suggested changes
"Add an extreme close up when he sees her eating the chicken" - I don't think an extreme close up is needed here as his emotions aren't very complex. Plus, his head movement adds to the disgust he is conveying.  
"Camera shakes when he looks at the coffee" - The camera does shake a bit here, but as this is a point of view shot it reflects the head movement of the character. 

Mise-en-scene

Strengths
"Hard to get a spoof right but you did it well by using all the typical conventions."
"The paper sign with '£6 for a taxi' is really good."
"The candles you put on the table creates a romantic atmosphere"

Suggested changes
"You could darken the lighting (a little bit) when they are watching a horror film" - I was conscious of making sure the shot was light enough to make sure everything was visible. I will try making it a little bit darker, still so it is visible but low-key enough so it adds more to the tone

Editing

Strengths
"It is clear that it is his imagination when he looks up and it fades to white"
"Good editing throughout by reversing between characters"
"The quick pace editing at the park is very effective, it portrays his 'clumsiness'"
"The pace at the station is quite slow, which builds up the anticipation"

Suggested changes
"Have the car crash slower or faster" - This is something I've spent a lot of time thinking about. I think faster is definitely better as it doesn't give the audience time to dwell on what happens. So, I won't have it in slow motion, I will speed it up as much as possible.
"At the station you could make her reactions quicker" - I like the pace it is at, and this comment contradicts the 'strengths' comment. I could shorten the shots where possible but it's not a necessity. 



I also asked them which scene could be removed:

"The wii scene could be removed" - Although I appreciate the opinion, I won't be removing this scene. It appears naturally funny and contributes well to the sequence. 

"You could shorten the shot of her eating popcorn" - Possible, but the action is quite long itself. I will need to try this out if I decide to implement it. 

"You may not need the shot of her picking up the cup on the dinner table, cut straight to her spilling the drink" - I think this shot is definitely needed as it links the stop motion back to the action again. 


This was a really useful exercise. It has not only given me some more things to focus on to tidy up my film, it has boosted my confidence a bit. Along with this it has given me extra guidance on issues I was deliberating over, such as which scene to remove/how to cut down the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment