About Me

My photo
I'm a student that studies. Send money for food.

Thursday 1 November 2012

Filming Day 2: Success!

Today I got all of the remaining filming done plus some extra scenes for good measure.

Scenes filmed today:
The coffee shop - (shots 1-20 and 82-94)
The signs - (shots 67-80)
Watching the film - (shots 37&38)
The dinner date - (shots 59-66)
The spinning shots - (shots 39-58) minus the car shot which was filmed on Monday.

PLUS

-Feeding the ducks - During this scene the couple are feeding ducks when one begins to pursue Jacob, he runs in terror. Shown using a point of view shot from the ducks point of view.
-Walking the dog - the couple are walking their dog (shown via a very long shot) when it runs from them as Jacob loses grip on the lead. He runs hopelessly after the dog.
-Playing Wii tennis - The couple are playing Wii tennis when Olivias character accidentally smashes Jacobs character in the face with the remote.

I may not include these extra scenes but I find it is better to have too much footage than too little.


The Signs

Location - I was a bit apprehensive about this as I was not sure if I needed to obtain permission to film there.  But I was aware that people I know have filmed there before without any trouble. My worrying was a waste of time as the location was excellent, we had access to it and weren't questioned at all. The backdrops of the shots were good, we managed to get a place on the platform with brick wall behind it and the characters stand out well. 

Filming - This went well. As soon as we arrived a train passed so this allowed me to capture the opening shot of the scene during which a train passes revealing Olivias character on the platform. 

Problems - It was a windy day so the signs kept being caught by the wind. We overcame this through perseverance and the props performed well in the end. . It was a bit of an inconvenience that the platforms were far apart a I had to switch between the two. I refused to hop over the tracks as that is dangerous let alone stupid, I just had to go up and down the stairs more times than I would have liked. 

Signs at the station



The Ducks

Location - This was filmed in a local park in the town so it wasn't far for us to walk and not really out of our way. 

Filming - As this was an extra scene that I hadn't storyboarded I wasn't sure how to position the camera at first. But in the end I got a good range of shot types including a low angle point of view shot from the ducks point of view. 

Problems - Apparently ducks are no longer scared of people. The idea was Olivias character would be feeding them and Jacobs character would charge through them, causing them to fly off. However they didn't fly off, they were intent gaining possession of the bread in Olivias hands. In the end I just changed the scene so Jacob was chased by a rouge duck. I feel this mocks the genre perfectly as it take a romantic, sweet situation and makes it ridiculous. 
A very scary duck




The Coffee Shop

Location - This section was filmed at a cafe/bar called The So Bar. The management were very kind in letting me film there. Luckily it wasn't very busy at the time we went, this meant there were less issues regarding continuity as there were no members of the public walking around the cafe.

Filming - All the shots were easy to obtain and came out looking really good. The manager let me go behind the bar in order to film at my storyboarded high angles. My actors performed brilliantly. After the disappointment of this location on Monday I am thrilled with how it went today.

Problems - None at all.
Jacob in So Bar



Spinning Shots

Location - This was filmed on the stretch of grass outside my house to co-inside with the shot of Jacob being hit by the car I filmed on Monday. 

Filming - To get the shots I wanted I used a technique that I'm not sure has a name. The camera was hand held by the actors in order for it to track on their faces whilst spinning. This worked really well and the footage looks really good. 

Problems - The different actors span at different rates. This might look odd of screen. However when editing I will be able to change the pace of the footage so they match each other. 
One of the spinning shots



The Dinner Date

Location - Filmed in my kitchen. I dressed the set appropriately so it looked like Olivias character was expecting a romantic dinner. I put nice plates on the table along with candles, napkins and wine glasses to achieve the desired effect. 

Filming - Again this went well. To make it look like Olivias character is eating the majority of the food quickly I used a stop motion technique. I filmed chicken bones appearing on her plate one by one, I did this in one continuous shot. However, when editing I will use quick cuts creating almost a stop motion effect. 

Problems - None of us overly enjoyed eating that much KFC, not really a problem, just an inconvenience. 
The couple sitting down to dinner



Watching the Film

Location - My living room was the set for this scene. 

Filming - Getting the shots I wanted was a bit tricky. I had storyboarded two tracking shots without thinking how I was going to achieve this. Ideally I would have benefited from having a professional camera track. Instead I used panning shots which I could achieve by using my tripod

Problems - Apart from not being able to efficiently track the camera, none. 
Establishing shot of the film the characters are watching


Playing Wii Tennis

Location - Still in my living room. One of the major benefits of filming in your own home is that you can take as long as you want. It also doesn't matter if you need to move anything to get the shot you want. 

Filming - I'm not too convinced of the shots I got as they were all from one angle. I don't think it will feel like a scene, more like a shot that was thrown in. To overcome this I may get some extra footage of the game play.

Problems - I couldn't actually get the Wii to work. This would have been helpful if it was working then the actors could play ensuring the timing of their swings was realistic. Instead I resorted the saying 'tennis' from behind the camera when I wanted them to swing. 
Impact in 3...2....1...



Walking the dog

Location - A stretch of river/grass near my house. This wide open space allowed me to get creative with shot types. For example A very long shot is the staple component of the scene. 

Filming - More experimenting here as like the ducks and Wii tennis it was un-storyboarded. The dog featured was my Labradoodle called Dylan. He was a star and preformed exactly as I wanted him too.  

Problems - I experimented with moving camera shots and I don't know how successful this was. We had to stop once or twice to let the public pass so they didn't interrupt the shots. 
The couple walking the dog.

What's next?

It is a good feeling having all my filming done. The next task is editing. However I can't start this until at least Monday as I don't have access to the software until then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment