About Me

My photo
I'm a student that studies. Send money for food.

Saturday 13 October 2012

Animatic peer assessment



Two other students in my Media Studies class sat down and watched through my animatic. They gave me some feedback and some targets I could consider to improve my film.
They commented of seven key areas:

  • Cinematography
  • Appropriate pace and content
  • Character representation 
  • Targeting the audience
  • Dialogue
  • Music/sound effects
  • Editing


Cinematography
Positives
+ Panning is frequently used, this is effective
+ Shots are typical of a romantic film

Targets
- Add more high and low angles - This is a fair comment, I haven't included many high or low angles shots. However I think there is a difference between using this type of shot for effect and using them for the sake of it. I may include some to keep the film interesting for the viewer.


Appropriate pace and content
Positives
+The music and the editing link together very well
+ The cards when he is asking for money are very effective
+ The pace is a good speed, the slower pace adds to the humour

Targets
None given


Character representations
Positives
+ Both reading books to signify they are intelligent and interested in similar things

Targets
- The only problem is I thought the girls was a man, however this will be clearer - It can be hard to convey things in an animatic due to questionable drawing skills. I can assure you she isn't a man an this will be clearer in the film.
- More shots of the girls reaction at the end - This is a good idea I hadn't considered. Maybe she could look at the main character when she is talking to the second man and as "Can I help you?" in an annoyed manner. He could then stutter before he swiftly leaves. However this adds a rather sad tone to the end of the film which I was trying to avoid.


Targeting the audience
Positives
+ The Lord of the Rings book, dialogue and the characters would attract the target audience
+ I think it uses the right conventions

Targets
None given


Dialouge
Positives
+ Minimal so it makes the audience focus on the action

Targets
- Add more dialogue maybe at the cinema scene - I agree that dialogue here may be useful in helping the audience understand his feelings and how scared he is. But equally I think this may come down to the animatic again. In the real film it will be very apparent from the actors actions and demeanour how he feels.
- Maybe a little cheeky at some points but I guess that is the genre - Even though put as a target I take this as a positive! I like how the main character comes across as a little cheeky. The point is that no one would say these things out loud but are thoughts that are realistic.


Music/Sound effects
Positives
+The change of music indicates the change of mood

Targets
- A little repetitive - I completely agree. However time constraints and talent constraints on my part limited what I was able to produce for the animatic. The final music for the short film will be along the same lines but more intricate.
- Could be limited instead of having different sorts of music as it may appear disjointed. - Again I agree. I will aim for the music to flow more naturally.


Editing
Positives
+ Editing is not fast paced but medium to allow the target audience to understand what is happening. 

Targets
- Vary the length of shots to add some variety. - I both agree and disagree with this comment. The shot lengths are varied. I have one scene that is one continuous shot and currently lasts around 10 seconds. In contrast I have the quick cuts at the start. But I can understand during some of the longer scenes this may be an area for me to consider.


I found this exercise really helpful. Not only has it given me some ideas to think about in how to improve my film it has given a me a boost of confidence about this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment