About Me

My photo
I'm a student that studies. Send money for food.

Thursday 18 October 2012

Car shot test

Now I have decided not to do the soup/vomiting scene I needed something to replace it with. I have decided to run Jacobs character over with a car. I did some research on how to create this effect and here a short video on Vimeo showing hints and tips on how to film using a car.


The effect I want to re-create is at 3:04 in the above video. In order to make it look like the character is bring hit by the car there are several steps to take:

1. Film the footage
The action is filmed backwards. Have the actor laying on the bonnet of the car as it reverses down the road. As the car passes past the camera the actor needs to roll of the bonnet into a standing position. 

2. Reverse the footage
Using editing software you can reverse the footage, this way it looks like the character is being hit by the car rather than him rolling off of it. 

3. Speed up the footage
The filming was done at a slow speed to not harm the actor. So now, you can speed up the footage to make it look like it was happening at high speed.

Here is my own attempt at this effect:
I was pleased with how this looks, however there are a few things I will do differently next time:
  • Have the character talking or doing an action rather than just standing in the road - this makes it more realistic. 
  • Make sure the actor starts (ends when filming) in the centre of the shot - This makes the shot look more proffesional. 
  • Ensure the car ends (starts when filming) completely off shot - The stopping distance of the car would not be that short if the car was actually travelling at great speed. Therefore the car needs to end off screen to make it look as realistic as possible. 


No comments:

Post a Comment